Sunday 23 May 2010

A Day Trip to Devon

There's something about Donna's fabulous open house sales that makes me turn into an excitable child again! Not only was I counting down the days until we headed to sunny Devon, but on the day itself (Thursday), as soon as we left the M5 to find our way to Abbotsham, I couldn't stop fidgeting and asking "are we nearly there yet?!" It could also have been something to do with the fact that I went with my parents, Dad did the driving and I haven't been on a 'road trip' with them like this for years!

The sight of Donna's gate was such a relief after about 3 hours on the road (which included the obligatory stop at a service station en route!)

I love the cheery marquee and bunting that greets sale goers. There's always the most wonderful welcome from Donna and her family too. Donna's sales just wouldn't be the same without 1) the fabulous Donna herself (of course!) 2) Donna's lovely mum 3) tea and cake in the kitchen and 4) so much vintage gorgeousness that it takes me literally hours to decide what to buy!

One of the things I love about cake and tea around Donna's kitchen table is the chance to meet and chat to fellow bloggers and vintage enthusiasts. It always makes me chuckle that we introduce ourselves by our blog names! I met two fabulous gals this time - Laura and Woo (who made the gorgeous bunnies in this photo).

So much to look at and so little time! Here's a look at just some of the wonderful things Donna had for sale...

Vintage clothing. Despite trying on several dresses, I couldn't find 'the one' for a wedding we're going to next weekend.

Such nostalgia! Enid Blyton was my favourite author when I was growing up and I longed to go on adventures just like the Famous Five!

Vintage dolls' prams, teasets, chairs, crockery, Homepride flour shakers...

An exciting new addition to Donna's house is the creation of her shop space.

So much treasure to look at!

I loved these pretty shoe shapers. I can never resist buying Sylko threads and came home with some more gorgeous colours with evocative names for my set of Sylko drawers!

A girl can never have too many buttons.

There's something really pleasing to the eye about fabric stacks. Does anyone else have the recurring dream that they'll one day stumble across a warehouse filled with lots and lots of undiscovered vintage things that they can take home?!

Even Fifi couldn't resist coming to see what all the excitement was about.

Mum and Dad came to one of Donna's sales with me last year and Dad took rather a shine to this chair. He was very touched to find that this time around Donna had kept it clear especially for him! He was a very happy chap and when mum and I finally finished 'shopping', we found him happily ensconced in his favourite sitting place with a cup of coffee!

Three cheers and a great big thank you to Donna for another fabulous sale. See you at the next one!

8 comments:

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hi Katie
It was a great event wasn't it. I arrived quite late (1.30pm)so I missed quite a few bloggers. I look forward to the next one.

Warm wishes
Isabelle x

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

Hi Katie
I couldn't get there, how disappointing, however I had an experience akin to your dream when I fell upon a load of beautiful vintage dresses & fabrics at the weekend, I am busy ironing getting them ready for Malvern on Monday, it hardly ever happens but is very exciting when it does!
Tracey

The fabric of my life said...

It wouldn't be the same without 5) My favourite family coming to visit. Really wonderful to see you all and I could quite happily adopt your wonderful father, he could just sit in his favourite chair as he's really no trouble at all :-)

vintagerockchick said...

Thanks for posting your beautiful photos - Donna's sale looks wonderful - I'm going to have to time a holiday in Devon to coincide with the next one!

Unknown said...

Hi Katie, it was so lovely to meet you and I agree with Donna about your Dad - what a sweetie!

See you again some time I hope.

Woo

Woo Gilchrist said...

Don't know why that comment came out without a blog link!

Purrfect Haven said...

happy days - wish I had a 'Donna' near me! Your Dad looks lovely!
Helen x www.happinesskindled.blogspot.com

Clare said...

It was a fab day and yes, I have that same dream...only it would include boxes of vintage millinery flowers and ribbons too!