Monday 8 November 2010

Up Hill and Down Dale

Mr Treasure and I have just spent a very relaxing weekend in the Peak District, staying with family in an idyllic spot surrounded by hills and dales.

We ventured into Manchester on Saturday (having never explored the city before) and to my sheer delight stumbled across this monthly vintage fair!

There were stalls aplenty bursting with vintage treasures. I was particularly drawn to the sparkly costume jewellery!

There were lots of boxes and cases to rummage in, like this one brimming with vintage scarves. I found my best buys on this stall and came away with a vintage knitting bag, Kangol hat and string of coral coloured glass beads (all of which will be making an appearance on the Textile Treasure Seeker stall at upcoming fairs).

Festive party outfit anyone?!

Manchester's answer to Picadilly Circus.

I always love the displays in shop windows at this time of year. I was really drawn to the bright colours and sumptuous fabrics in the windows at Kendals.

This is part of Harvey Nichols' festive offering. It even played festive music to get you in the Christmassy mood!

As dusk set over the city, the window at Louis Vuitton came into its own.

Each 'box' in the stack that filled the window is decorated in a slightly different way - from looking like a classic Louis Vuitton trunk or with the company's distinctive logo on, to being left plain or decorated with Indian iconography.

For the sheer smile-a-bility factor, the windows at Selfridges were my favourite!

Tee hee!

Makes me chuckle!

I saw this on the side of a jeweller's in the city centre. As a plaque underneath explained, it's the original sign from 1901 (and wedding rings are no longer sold by weight!)

This is the mill where we stayed. It's tucked away amongst dales and hills and is so peaceful. All you can hear outside when you're there is the sound of the babbling stream that runs alongside it.

Lovely old cobbles.

A date carved above a door, presumably when the mill was built.

A stone mason's mark in the flag stones.

What a lovely weekend it was. Have a great week everyone!

4 comments:

Trixie@ the vintage bothy said...

Hi Katie
I swear blind that I saw you in M&S in Cheltenham on Friday.
Looks like you had a lovely mooching time.
Tracey

Country Cottage Chic said...

It all looks fabulous & a great place for a getaway.

Jayne

Annie said...

Sounds like you had a great trip, what luck to find the vintage fair too .
Ann x

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hello there! Oh it looks like a lovely time you had :-) I'd love to stay in that mill surrounded by the dales. This seems to be the perfect season to be there - all mists, dusky toned landscape and the need to snuggle up in warm woolly knitwear! Just listen to me - I'm sounding like the copywriter for a Toast catalogue?!
Lovey to hear that you've had a great trip and here's to many more!
Denise x