Tuesday 21 July 2009

A Jaunt to the City

I found myself in London yesterday - not far from Smithfield Market, which is a hop, skip and a jump from St. Paul's Cathedral. There's so much history in this area. Just reading the road names conjures up vivid images of times gone by.

In true Textile Treasure Seeker fashion (no pun intended!), I even stumbled across a little piece of textiles history along the way.

Ice-cream vans are always so cheery and this made me break out into a huge smile. I think it was the thought of a big city like London having its own ice-cream vans in the heart of one its business areas and the idea of people in pinstriped suits lining up for a lunchtime '99'! They'll be building a beach and selling buckets and spades before we know it!

A true icon. Such an impressive building...how ever did Sir Christopher Wren think of it all?

A short walk over the Millennium Bridge posed a rather profound question for the day...what is art?

I had a go at creating my own work of art by photographing one of Tate Modern's walls...

...before pondering the subject further.

I thought this would make a wonderful exhibit...I call it "Recycling Art"! After all, isn't art just a re-working of ideas and a breaking and bending of the accepted rules to create something new?

Crikey, it's all getting rather philosophical...time for a cuppa I think!

3 comments:

Funkymonkey said...

Hi Katie, I'm so glad you visited my blog because it means that I've found yours. We like a lot of the same things so I'll be visiting again soon.

Tracey

Country Cottage Chic said...

It's always fun to have a good day out in London, but I'm always happy to be going home to the countryside afterwards!

Jayne

Beki said...

Hi Katie
I'm nearly good to go with the swap.
If you email me your address, i'll get your parcel off to you this week
Beki xxx